Sunday, June 1, 2025

The Treat Drawer



I can’t remember a time there wasn’t a loose Almond Joy or a bag of chocolate chips hiding underneath a pile of socks in my mom’s dresser drawer. As a kid, I would sometimes open a drawer and sift through folded t-shirts to find my mom’s secret stash of Halloween candy, but only to look at it. I never, not once, ever, took a piece from her drawer. Not that I didn’t want to. It’s just my mom would 100% notice it was missing and it wasn’t worth the risk. And I didn’t want to be responsible for an empty treat drawer on a rainy day. 
Well today I randomly opened my mom’s sock drawer to borrow a pair of socks and sure enough, there was a lone Easter Egg full of jelly beans rolling around with the socks. 
Out of curiosity I opened another drawer, a few wrapped peanut butter cups sat in the corner. I opened a third drawer… the motherload. The jackpot. The treat drawer of all treat drawers. There wasn’t even clothes in this drawer! It was like the candy isle at your local Harmons!
My parents claimed it was for their “primary class.”  Maybe so, but that didn’t stop me from pocketing a bag of skittles and a KitKat (; 

No comments:

Post a Comment